Slate’s Culture Gabfest on this year’s candidates for song of the summer and our annual Summer Strut playlist.
This week, Chris Molanphy joins the gabbers to discuss the candidates for 2019’s song of the summer—and how one unlikely track emerged as the decisive winner, despite Taylor Swift’s best efforts to dethrone it. Then, they sift through the 400-plus songs nominated by listeners to select the finalists for this year’s Summer Strut playlist.
On Slate Plus, the hosts consider what makes a great wedding playlist and recommend songs for Chris’ upcoming nuptials.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week:
• “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus (Remix)
• “The Culture Gabfest ‘Free Rein on Some Gargoyles’ Edition” by Dan Kois, Stephen Metcalf, and Dana Stevens in Slate
• “How TikTok Made ‘Old Town Road’ Become Both A Meme And A Banger” by Lauren Strapagiel in BuzzFeed
• “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish
• “ME!” by Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie
• “Taylor Swift’s New Single Is a Teachable Moment About How Not to Be an Ally” by Christina Cauterucci in Slate